Old 07-02-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

Default Growing apples from cuttings?

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message .com
from "cliff_the_gardener" contains
these words:

Can't say I am a fan of family trees, why, because they are a
compromise of growth habits with regards to the sion.
IMHO, far better to graft onto M106 / M111 rootstock and grow as
cordons, either angled, doubles or as veticals.

Very long, narrow garden isn't suited to it, unless I completely re-work
it, hence the hedge.

If you have a spare rootstock, a good way of propogating is to mound
layer, that is cover the rootstock with compost in a mound, and where
the shoots are new woody shoots will develop which inturn can be used
as propogating material.

I have acess to cuttings from a rootstock tree. The grafted top blew
down in a gale and the apples which came on the regrowth were entirely
different from what were on the bit which came off. They are in
themselves, pretty respectable cookers.

This will be the 106 which is very good in its own right. It is unnamed and
strikes well from cuttings. Other numbered rootstocks all have a distinct
crab apple flavour.
Best Wishes Brian.

Perhaps I'd better display my armoury prominently to discourage

scrumpers...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig