Old 07-02-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default Asparagus

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 15:49:19 -0000, Anthony Anson
wrote:

The message
from Joan Riley contains
these words:

(snip)
Do not pull even a single stick during the first year, and it will
reward you with *VAST* stalks in following years.

The asparagus can be treated in a similar way, though it's more usual to
build the bed up on a heap of manure. It isn't so greedy for water as
rhubarb is, though.

Are you sure the tree is an apple, not a peach or something which might
benefit from being in a greenhouse?

Thankyou for your reply. The apple is an apple as there was just one
large one on the tree in the autumn, which I ate and it was mushy and
tasteless - perhaps due to being grown in such a hot environment.
Manure I have plenty of as there are a couple of Clydesdales on the
farm and there are mounds of old manure here. Will it be alright to
move the asparagus and rhubarb now or should I wait until the autumn?

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply