Old 07-02-2006, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob

Default Grafting a Texas Grapefruit onto a Blood Orange

sherwindu wrote:

There may be an issue of genetics here as the seeds may not produce
true to the original tree that produced the seeds. This is certainly
true with apples, but less of a factor in stone fruits. I would
check on this before investing a lot of time and effort. He should
check around and try and find an orchard growing the Texas grapefruit
and ask them for a few pieces of scion wood. There may even be a
source where he can order the scion. Sherwin D.

Citrus often do come true from seeds. Sometimes two seedlings come up
from one citrus seeds, and I've read that one of the 2 seedlings is a
genetic clone of the mother plant (I'm not sure if it's the first
seedling to come up or the second, or if you can even tell.)

I don't believe everything I read, but this had a ring of truth to it,
and I have seen 2 seedlings come up from a single grapefruit pip.

Bob