Old 28-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Alan Holmes

Default OT Red squirrel

"BAC" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"TheGardener" wrote in message

"CK" wrote in message
I have to say that in my part of Somerset, grey squirrels don't seem

have
hibernated for many years now.
We see them all through the winter.
Chris

They haven't hibernated here in Redditch (Worcs.) either, for years!!

Well there is no doubt that in the Windsor area they
do hibernate, and the mild winter last year certainly
reduced the numbers.

I've been watching this thread with interest. I was under the impression
that grey squirrels might retreat to the shelter of their drays for a few
days at a time in the worst winter conditions, but that neither they nor

red
squirrels actually hibernated.

So, serious question, how do you know they hibernate in the Windsor area?

The complete lack of sightings during the winter.

Alan