Old 08-02-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Andrew

Default Germinating terrestrial orchids

Cypella wrote:
I am trying to grow Ophrys apifera and Holotrix secunda from seeds.
I would appreciate any advice to succeed in this rather hardy
challenge.

These are fairly rare in cultivation in my part of the world but
growers I have spoken to recommend cold stratifying temperate orchids,
such as Ophrys. As I understand it they flask the seeds and
refridgerate the flask for a month or two. Stratifying before flasking
is probably asking for fungal problems. Be warned that contamination
can be a problem in the fridge due to temperature fluctuations and any
food you're keeping in there. I don't know whether ethylene given off
by ripening fruit will have any effect but it's at least worth bearing
in mind. If possible use a spare fridge. Can't be of much help with the
Holothrix.