Old 28-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Bevan Price

Default Forsythia not flowering?

"Jim Paterson" wrote in message
Methinks you already suspect where you have gone wrong.
Forsythia flowers on old wood ie last years wood.
Try and restrict pruning to immediately after flowering, July is a bit

late
as you have found out. It can be a bit of a nuisance leaving the shrub
growing but that is where the latent flower buds are. Jim 2
"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
I have a forsythia. Last year it flowered very nicely. I cut it back
sometime around July and it shot back up again -- but now there are no
flower buds on the long new shoots. There are only flowers on new short
side branches from the bits I didn`t cut back. What did I do wrong?

Rhiannon

And if you stick the stem prunings into soil, they root very easily, and you
will get new forsythia shrubs - if you have space for them.

Bevan