Old 07-02-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default Distance Learning/Correspondence Courses

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:16:29 +0000
Sacha wrote:

On 7/2/06 16:32, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:
[]
This said, I don't doubt that at least to some extent each school
can set it's own rules, maybe your acquaintance's school was
particular in this respect.

Could be, Emery. He was Australian but he was a bit of a conceited wind up
merchant so for all I know, it was a load of codswallop.

Well, sounds like he graduated from French high school!

The Lycée system is great because if you move a lot, your
kids can pick up in a new city basically on the next page of
the same textbook. They really do all march in lock-step.
And as they are about 40% in English, they turn out
perfectly bi-lingual teenagers, bless 'em.

It sounds excellent, IMO, though I have no experience of it myself. When my
half French nieces lived in Thailand, they went to the Ecole deux langues
(if I remember that name correctly) and were perfectly suited, being
bilingual to start with. They speak both French and English so well that
they can start a sentence in one language and finish it in the other and of
course, their accents are perfect in both - sickening. ;-)

The international system is indeed excellent, usually better than
the schools here, with a few notable exceptions. I'm sad to say
I've had to take my kids out of the local village school this fall,
where they were 3 years together in a class (which has some
advantages), due to the suicide of the headmaster.

Anyway my kids now miss no opportunity to correct my
accent. And speak remarkably little franglais, considering
how much my wife and I do... The little, uh, darlings.

Now, off to prepare some of those strange concoctions
for dinner! (OK, actually I'll probably take some of
last years broccoli out of the freezer. There, back on
topic.)

-E

Bravo! ;-)

I did get to make it a little concocting, by retrieving a bag
of frozen cepes from this fall too. It was an incredible
mushroom bounty this year, no one had ever seen the
like of it. We were cutting 5 kilos of cepes (boletus ed.) in
20 minutes, all within 200 yards of the house! Went on
like that for weeks.

-E

--
Emery Davis