Old 08-02-2006, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Default Global warming?

Travis M. wrote:
"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message

[.]]
For Windows platforms, Ethernet card drivers, tcpip/ip etc are
auto-configured when first installed, and when you configure the
router. For OS/2, it has to be done manually, including installing
the driver for the Ethernet card that connects to the router (which
I connects to the DSL modem for access to the 'net.) Can be done,
of course, but it's a hassle, not least because OS/2 doesn't have
many Ethernet card drivers. Bell's Access Manager is used for
connecting directly through the DSL modem. There is no OS/2
version. That's the downside of using an obsolescent OS - even one
that's still ahead of Windows in design, function and usability,
and at least equal to Linux in stability and security (and way
ahead in usability.)
HTH

Your router should handle the connection to the ISP be it PPPoE or DHCP
not the computer.

True, but OS/2 still needs the correct NIC driver, and that's the
problem: not enough available for OS/2. The faster machine has on-board
Ethernet, but OS/2 can't use it. I tried an add-in card (Intel 10/1000
Pro), but the generic driver that is supposed to work for all NICs
didn't, probably because it was still beta. I don't have the smarts to
fix it, nor even to describe the problem correctly. Or else I've
misread/misunderstood the docs, which are not exactly a model of clarity
(what OS docs are? :-))

Well, I'll try again Real Soon Now. I've just bought eComStation, a
licensed upgraded distro of OS/2, and we'll see. OS/2 IMO still has the
best GUI - consistently OO in design, and completely consistent in
behaviour, unlike any other I've ever tried. I recently tried Gnome on
Suse 10.0 -- not very good, a bad mix of Windows and Mac design concepts
IMO. But Linux looks prmising for other reasons.

But this thread is getting very much OT, so I'll end my participation
here, if you don't mind. I'll be asking questions on a couple of
comp.os2... groups.

HTH