Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

Default Need to water in SE England

Rupert writes

"Kay" wrote in message
Interesting - I'm not far from you, and it is still wet, following the
trend of the last few years.

Although we don't have standing water in the veg garden.

Not much soil in the main garden. Slightly raised beds on rock drains well .
The bit of woodland on a slope always defies any sensible logic in either
soil type or moisture retention. Bits of nice moist acidic followed by dry
alkaline.The wet and deep shaded bit does ok for all the things you would
expect but when I was digging a trench in anticipation of a forthcoming
arrival I was hitting dry snuff at 6".
It's possible that it's always been dry at this time of year but I really do
doubt it. A few neighbours have been muttering and moaning about dead
outside pot plants so I know it's not just me going slightly dotty -am I?
Anyway I think you must get extra divine blessings in your location:-)

We're the opposite, a clay-filled hollow. It may have been dry recently
but not so much so that it's had an impact, and it certainly wasn't dry
last year!

Vegetation around here has changed over the years I've been here - most
noticeably a plague of lesser celandines.

--
Kay