Old 08-02-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Clare

Default good tomato varieties for first timer

Sungold and Gardeners' Delight are both really excellantly tasting
varieties, but will need to be tied into a support and have the side
shoots pinched out regularly.

Slightly less trouble perhaps are the determinate (bush) types - this
means they support themselves pretty much and grow into kind of bush.
I grew Tumbler in pots the first time I grew tomatoes, we got
absolutely loads of fruits but the taste isn't as good as you might
hope, given the amount of effort watering them. I've heard that
Tornado is a good determinate variety but I've not tried it.

This year I'm going to try a just a couple of plants of several
different varieties, to spread out the cropping season and get
different flavours. You could try something similar, seeds are cheap
after all (there's no need to sew the whole packet), and see which
varieties you prefer.

For ref, I've grown all my tomatoes outside, in a really sunny spot.
We get a lot of sun here in Surrey in the summer.

Clare.