Old 08-02-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson

Default Growing apples from cuttings?

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

I have acess to cuttings from a rootstock tree. The grafted top blew
down in a gale and the apples which came on the regrowth were entirely
different from what were on the bit which came off. They are in
themselves, pretty respectable cookers.

Bramley cuttings ought to make good rootstock, too.

Eeek. Bramley is a very vigorous big tree. I think most apples would be a
better bet on their own roots than on bramley!

About the only reason apples are grafted on to rootstocks is to reduce the
size of the tree/bush. Different root stock given different "dwarfing"
characteristics. For more info google for "apple root stock types"

Have seen this done on an intesive scale.
As you are further south than me rusty, I guess you apricots may fair
ok. Here they are a semi greehouse plant.

Apricots do quite well, but the ones I have in mind are Hunzas, which
come from colder climes. They (traditionally) are left on the bush to
dry.

What ever - a fruit hedge has to be admired. An excellent choice.

Perhaps I'd better display my armoury prominently to discourage scrumpers...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig