Old 08-02-2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Default How fast do tadpoles grow?

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:55:33 -0500, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:
About a month ago I had a bulldozer and front end loader come in and scoop
out a big hole in the ground. Actually, the thing looked like it had been
a pond before, in that it was fairly deep and full of water. But someone
had turned it in to a junk pile, with a bunch of willows and weeds growing
around the outside and the inside filled with junk. Mostly the junk was
dead branches and brush, but there were things in there like an old chair
or two, an old bar-b-que grill, a metal desk, other well, uh, junk.
Anyway, all that is gone and now I have a pretty bare 40' in diameter 5'
deep mud puddle. I think the pond might be below the local water table
because as soon as I quit pumping the water out, it filled back up to about
5' deep. The guy who cleaned out the pond told me to get some rye grass
seed because it would sprout real fast, covering up the bare places and
helping control any possible erosion. The store I went to was out of rye
grass seed but the salesclerk sold me some other seed he said would work
just as well. I must have screwed up and made the clerk think I wanted
seed that absolutely would *not* sprout, because that is exactly what I
got. But that's another story.

Just what does all that crap above have to do with tadpoles? So now
your pond ois 5 feet buty a month ago it was like 3 feet..Please make
up your mind how deep your pond is...I seriously doubt yu were sold
seed that would not germinate, your just not smart enough to sow it
correctly form the sounds of it.

Some two weeks ago I was out fussing around the pond and noticed about 4
big clumps of frog eggs. I thought that was a little fast, but just
figured I didn't know hardly as much as I thought I did about frogs. Then
today I was out fussing again and saw what looked like a ping-pong ball
with a tail. I couldn't exactly place what it was, so I grabbed a stick
and poked at it. It blinked at me, then lazily swam away. There are
oodles of small tadpoles in the water, but this thing was far, far bigger
than any of them. It didn't have any legs or anything either. I couldn't
imagine anything surviving the bulldozer and front end loader and having
the water pumped out of the pond, but then again I can't imagine this
tadpole growing in just a month. So how fast do these things grow, or was
this most likely a (very lucky) survivor?

So your weather pattern rained tadpoles. It happens get over it.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We are the CroMagnon of the future

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....