Old 09-02-2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

Default Cleaning over the Winter

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
My "indoor pond" is something of a cross between an aquarium and a pond.
It is a plywood framed box which is roughly 2 ft deep and 4 ft wide and 7
feet long on the outside dimensions. It has a liner in it and can only be
viewed from the top. I treat it like a pond using pond type filters and
aeration. I figure it contains about 250 or so gallons once you subtract
for the thickness of the walls.

I've got an indoor puddle too, about the same size as yours. This is the
first year for it.

I have about 25 goldfish of various kinds--nothing fancy--comets,
shebunkins and such. They range from about 4 inches to 8-9 inches long.
My 20 month old grand daughter loves to watch them jump around when she
comes over to feed them (truth is so do I!!).

Mine has nine smallish Goldfish and numerous fry from the outdoor pond. I
also had to move one of the aquarium GF (8") a few weeks ago, as he kept
having water quality issues in the tank (75g).

The others are just regular aquariums. I figure I have about 150 fish in
total ranging from last year's hatch to some 4-5 year olds.

You said you're in Zone 6, so am I here in NJ. Where abouts are you?

I'm in 5b (Ontario).

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
That's kind of what I was thinking. I'll probably spend some time with
them this weekend.

Enjoyed your web site.

Thanks. :-)

My pond grew from a 150 gallon to about 750 gallon
over the past few years.

I took that same route an now have a 2000g pond as well.

I also have a 300 gallon"indoor pond",

Indoor pond? You mean an aquarium?

a 100
gallon, 65 gallon 29 gallon and 2 10 gallon aquariums all filled
(overstocked!) with goldfish from the outside pond. My wife says one
more tank and she's outta here!

My husband says the same thing but then wants to see any new fish I bring
in - go figure. Common and some fancy goldfish can stay outside all
winter where you live. I'm in zone 6 and mine thrive outdoors year
round. I have the fancies in the house because I like aquariums. There's
a NG for GF fanciers, alt.aquaria.freshwater.goldfish.

That space in the corner is big enough for a 75 gallon tank!!!

I see another tank in your future. ;-)

Its good to see there are still a few people in the group who are
interested in discussing ponds!

Yes, some of us are still here.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...