Old 09-02-2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

Default How fast do tadpoles grow?

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:16:03 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

Hi Galen -

I don't know what kind of tadpoles you have,
but I recall reading that different tadpoles
grow at different rates, some very quickly,
maturing in a matter of weeks, others taking a
year or so.

You might check out web sites for your
state or country. Most show local
animal life, how to identify, and so on.

I tend to get in my in-ground pond small green
frogs that produce bunches of tadpoles that
convert in a matter of a month or so to tiny
froglets. A couple of years ago I had toads in
the same pond. But I can't recall how long
their tadpoles/toadpoles took to mature.

Howdy.

I don't know what kind of tadpoles they are either, I just didn't think any
kind of tadpole could get that big in just a month. I've got lots and lots
of frogs around here (also lizards and skinks) so I'm not exactly surprised
to find tadpoles, I just hadn't expected any that big so soon. I live up
in northern Florida, zone 8 also, but it seems to be a bit warmer zone 8
than where you live. By the way, I went to Cambridge Elementary School in
(you guessed it) San Antonio, TX.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We are the CroMagnon of the future