Old 09-02-2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default How fast do tadpoles grow?

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message

Some two weeks ago I was out fussing around the pond and noticed about 4
big clumps of frog eggs. I thought that was a little fast, but just
figured I didn't know hardly as much as I thought I did about frogs. Then
today I was out fussing again and saw what looked like a ping-pong ball
with a tail. I couldn't exactly place what it was, so I grabbed a stick
and poked at it. It blinked at me, then lazily swam away. There are
oodles of small tadpoles in the water, but this thing was far, far bigger
than any of them. It didn't have any legs or anything either. I couldn't
imagine anything surviving the bulldozer and front end loader and having
the water pumped out of the pond, but then again I can't imagine this
tadpole growing in just a month. So how fast do these things grow, or was
this most likely a (very lucky) survivor?

It's probably one of last years bullfrog tadpoles that survived the
bulldozer in a small puddle of water.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952