Old 08-02-2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default Blue-green algae / cyanobacteria? Or is it something else?

In article . com,
Shorty wrote:
I think I have blue-green algae in my tank (cyanobacteria). The problem
is that it's not green at all. It's brown in color. It seems to behave
like blue-green algae because it's usually in the spots with little
water movement, on the gravel and hanging on anacharis/elodea and
surrounding my hairgrass. It's like brown spiderweb hanging on the
plants. On the gravel it looks like some fuzzy stuff. I know it's not
hair algae because I have some hair algae on my anubias.

If it were me I'd change 80% of the water for two days (algae likes
contant coditions, you can "shock" it to death or at least hurt it
badly) then fertilize properly with macro and micronutrients
and use Flourish Excel. If should be gone in about 4 days if
you do this.

And I do do this.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net