Old 09-02-2006, 01:57 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Cleaning over the Winter

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
My "indoor pond" is something of a cross between an aquarium and a pond.
It is a plywood framed box which is roughly 2 ft deep and 4 ft wide and 7
feet long on the outside dimensions. It has a liner in it and can only be
viewed from the top. I treat it like a pond using pond type filters and
aeration. I figure it contains about 250 or so gallons once you subtract
for the thickness of the walls.

I have about 25 goldfish of various kinds--nothing fancy--comets,
shebunkins and such. They range from about 4 inches to 8-9 inches long.
My 20 month old grand daughter loves to watch them jump around when she
comes over to feed them (truth is so do I!!).

The others are just regular aquariums. I figure I have about 150 fish in
total ranging from last year's hatch to some 4-5 year olds.

You said you're in Zone 6, so am I here in NJ. Where abouts are you?

Just outside of Nashville TN. We can get some cold weather here. I don't
bring my GF in for the winter. I do have some fancies in the house but they
too would probably thrive outdoors year round. My ponds and pools ice over
but I always have a small aerator to keep an opening in the ice for gas
exchange.

Your indoor pond sounds pretty nice. :-)
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952