Old 28-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Climbing rose

We are far from experts at roses but about the only one that fitted
the bill that we could find was Zephirine Drouhin (sic), which also
looks and smells nice. We planted two, two years ago, in partial
shade under the awning that surrounds the southwest-facing front of
our house. One died, the other didn't.

Yes. It is an excellent rose, but not disease resistant. If it
fails, I suggest going for a honeysuckle or some other non-thorny
climbing species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,

Other rose contenders are 'Violette' 'Veilchenblua' 'Clair Jacquier' and
'Madam Alfred Carrier' (spelling may be dodgy as I haven't checked!) I find
ZD very difficult to grow and have given up with it.
How about Solanum laxum 'Album' (S.jasminoides 'Album')
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk