Old 09-02-2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default Blue-green algae / cyanobacteria? Or is it something else?

Suggested? I'm telling you my experience.

Sorry, I don't remember who suggest it. I didn't mean you did.

No I rememebr the guy that did. He was the only one and he's missing
something.

And no, I'm talking about all algae. I've done this many many times and
it has yet to fail.

You need to get all the dirt out of the tank too, but that goes
without saying.

The gravel is thoroughly vacuumed twice a month like the 55 that doesn't
have the problem. These 2 tanks are set up side by side (on the same day)
with everything being equal, yet one has a harmless green algae and the
other this nasty looking black stuff. :-( I don't want to waste money
adding more plants when I know this stuff will grow over them and smother
them.

Well, there's ammonia in there or you wouldn't have algae and it is algae
(or diatoms, same deal).

Remove all you can.

Change 80% of the water for two days.

Add Flourish excel. Fetilize with PMDD.

Do buy new plants, they'l be ok, honest. Hornwort would be best. Lots of it.
(unless your fish eat it, floating water sprint would be good too).

in the green tank, blackitout for 3 days then do the above. If you
do all thse things and don't miss one it shoudl be fine. That's
really all I do and it only takes a few days to bring the worst tank
to crystal clear newness. And I've had more filty green tanks than
Cartes has pills.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net