Old 09-02-2006, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default Blue-green algae / cyanobacteria? Or is it something else?

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

Well, there's ammonia in there or you wouldn't have algae and it is algae
(or diatoms, same deal).

A test the other day showed Nitrates at 20ppm and ammonia at 0.

Remove all you can.

Change 80% of the water for two days.

Add Flourish excel. Fetilize with PMDD.

OK, I have the Flourish excel but what is PMDD?

Do buy new plants, they'l be ok, honest. Hornwort would be best. Lots of
it.
(unless your fish eat it, floating water sprint would be good too).

All my hornwart died in the last 3 months after YEARS of thriving in my
pools, ponds and tanks. It's not always easy to find here. It just stopped
growing in *all* the tanks, looked sicker and more miserable until I tossed
it. That's another thing that's really weird. What would make all the
hornwart suddenly fail? I bought the original clump back in 1989 when I was
living in town.

in the green tank, blackitout for 3 days then do the above. If you
do all thse things and don't miss one it shoudl be fine. That's
really all I do and it only takes a few days to bring the worst tank
to crystal clear newness. And I've had more filty green tanks than
Cartes has pills.

The small amount of green algae doesn't bother me in the other tanks. It's
the tank with the blackish red sooty crap that's got me bugged.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952