Old 03-03-2003, 03:13 PM
TheGardener

Default Kiwis in the UK

"David" wrote in message
om...
"TheGardener" wrote in message

I also have a hermaphrodite plant. I had it for around 5 years before

it
had any fruit. It flowered every year, but no fruit. The first year it
fruited, there were about 10 fruits on the whole plant. The following

year,
it was a mass of fruit (delicious, too!). The year after, (last year),

back
to no fruit again. I can only presume that weather conditions during
flowering have a great effect on the number of fruits which set. I wait
with interest to see if it will produce fruit this year.....

I suspect these "self fertiles" might be male and female plants
grafted onto a single stock, in which case fruiting could be adversely
affected by pruning out an errant branch bearing, say, male flowers.

As I have never pruned my plant, I don't think that's the problem. Also, an
inspection of the flowers on my plant reveals both male and female parts,
hence hermaphrodite. I still think it's weather conditions prevailing at
the time of flowering.
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk