Old 09-02-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default How fast do tadpoles grow?

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:16:03 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

Howdy.

I don't know what kind of tadpoles they are either, I just didn't think
any
kind of tadpole could get that big in just a month. I've got lots and
lots
of frogs around here (also lizards and skinks) so I'm not exactly
surprised
to find tadpoles, I just hadn't expected any that big so soon. I live up
in northern Florida, zone 8 also, but it seems to be a bit warmer zone 8
than where you live. By the way, I went to Cambridge Elementary School in
(you guessed it) San Antonio, TX.

Tadpoles have to grow up before the water source dries up. For example,
tadpoles in northern Africa don't have much time, the ponds and puddles dry
up within a month or two. On the other extreme, the Amazon rainforest has
frogs that lay their eggs in the pockets of water that form in the base of
tree branches, because they almost never dry out.

Most tadpoles grow up in a month or two, a few stick around for a year. If
you're worried about the tadpoles, collect them, and drop them off in a
local pond, or creek. Or better yet, fill up a half whiskey barrel with
water, let them grow in that.