Old 09-02-2006, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Asimina triloba - hardy US 'pawpaw'

In article ,
echinosum writes:

| Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden
| by Lee Reich
| Timber Press, 2004. ISBN 0-88192-623-X. 288 pp. £17.99.
| This fine book is a collection of over 20 monographs on unusual fruits,
| most of which are uncommon in Britain and the information about them is
| of great value to anyone thinking of growing them here. They include
| juneberries (Amelanchier), beach plum (Prunus maritima), musk
| strawberries (Fragaria moschata), pawpaw (Asimina triloba), raisin tree
| (Hovenia dulcis), lingonberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi), hardy kiwi
| (Actinidia), mulberries (Morus), persimmons (Diospyros), Elaeagnus,
| maypop (Passiflora incarnata), che (Cudrania), Nanking cherry (Prunus
| tomentosa), Lowbush blueberries (Vaccinium), jujube (Ziziphus) and the
| shipova (xSorbopyrus).

Well, maybe. I know only a few of those, but I doubt very much
that all will fruit in the UK, though some certainly do. At least
Passiflora incarnata is seriously tender in the UK. It has lasted
a couple of years with me, and I have had flowers, but no fruit
but that took 3 goes and it is in a most unusual location.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.