Old 09-02-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Clare

Default Asimina triloba - hardy US 'pawpaw'

Thanks very much. I was thinking of growing from seed after seeing
they're sold by jungleseeds.co.uk.

My experience of growing anything from seed for the first time is that
there are several risks:
- you can make a mistake in the care of the seedlings at some point
and loose them,
- you can grow the plant on really sucessfully to the palnting out
stage and then dicover that there's something about the particular
conditions/pests/available space in your garden which isn't as suitable
for the plant as your initial research lead you to believe
- or finally that the whole thing is a success, but in the end you
decide that you don't like the plant's shape/colour/tast of fruit etc.

On the other hand, sometimes plants sometimes turn out to be willing to
put up with more than you thought - for example I decided not to grow
raspberried because they prefer an acid soil, which I don't have, but
someone persuaded me to try anyway and actually they reapberries are
pretty happy, they show signs of a bit of chlorosis now and then, but
they're pretty tough plants really and are very happy to give me a nice
crop. Other plants are more sensitive to conditions and less vigorous
and wouldn't put up with that kind of thing.

Of course if you grow something from seed, and it all goes well, and
you like it, it's fabulous because you've got a great plant, for very
little cost and you've nurtured it the whole way.

So I'm really wondering - has anyone actually succeeded in growing
Asimina triloba from seed to fruiting maturity, how easy/difficult was
it, and was the end result a tree you really wanted in your garden?
I'm equally interested to hear from anyone who has tried to grow this
and failed, or tried and is now nursing a young tree!

Clare.