Old 09-02-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Pre-Chelsea.......

"Sacha" wrote
On 5/2/06 9:26, "JennyC" wrote:

May I suggest that all those who feel strongly enough, write to the

Beeb's
gardening programme department and insist that we have less gurning TV
presenters slapping each others backs; that the names of plants are shown

on the screen and that Alan and Diarmuid are not allowed within a mile of

each
other. AND that if Diarmuid is going to enter his own design again, he

does not get loads of free publicity on the subject.
If we don't make/repeat our points now, it will be too late when Chelsea
does open! Jenny.......you have contacts! ;-))
Sacha

Mail sent to: and

Maybe if we ALL mail them .......................
Jenny

I must admit that I hope lots do.

Here's the reply I got:

I am sorry that you were disappointed by the BBC's coverage of the RHS Chelsea
Flower Show last year, especially with the BBC Television presenters and their
style of presenting.
We work closely with the BBC to try to ensure that viewers who cannot visit
Chelsea personally are able to enjoy as much of the show as possible. However,
editorial control rests with the BBC, as does their choice of presenters.

We have passed on to the BBC the concerns of viewers who have written to us, and
we are pressing the producers for improved coverage of the Great Pavilion and
floral content in general.

However, we recognise that the BBC coverage of the show needs to appeal to a
wide audience, not just keen gardeners, and over the years the programmes have
proven extremely popular, attracting an average of more than three million
viewers daily. In 2005 we received fewer complaints about Chelsea coverage,
around 30 in total, than in any year since the BBC won the contract to cover the
show in 2001.

We do take note of members and viewers concerns and take these into account when
we regularly review our broadcasting arrangements. Thank you for taking the
time to send us your view, which I will also forward to the BBC.

Kind regards, Hayley (RHS Pressoffice)