Old 09-02-2006, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan

Default For David Poole

snip
Slightly OT, but on the subject of putrid plant odours I simply have to
mention the durian. snip the
best ones
I had I ate under the tree as a guest of the tree's owner. In hindsight,
this may not have been the safest place to be sitting. I think I was a bit
of a curiosity as a European who actually liked them.

You know, Duncan, I am really SO grateful you did that for me and saved me
from having to find out for myself! ;-)

Don't pass up the chance to eat them, they really are good and for
some reason you don't smell it as you eat.. Even though airlines and
hotels in durian-areas tend to have off-putting signs like "No durians
allowed in rooms/baggage".

I've read this advice on durians before. You can find them for sale
in chinese and indonesian supermarkets in London, Manchester, Amsterdam
and I expect other places. Now, how do I choose a good one, or a suitably
ripe one, or is there any other information that I should know before
buying one?