Old 09-02-2006, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Asimina triloba - hardy US 'pawpaw'

Clare wrote:
[...]
So I'm really wondering - has anyone actually succeeded in growing
Asimina triloba from seed to fruiting maturity, how easy/difficult was
it, and was the end result a tree you really wanted in your garden?
I'm equally interested to hear from anyone who has tried to grow this
and failed, or tried and is now nursing a young tree!

Take care, though: as I understand it, in the US they often use
"paw-paw" for what I call a "custard apple". On the other hand, yet a
third thing may be in the air, as the picture at
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...a_triloba.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/7eltx

doesn't look like either to me.

Whatever the truth of the matter, I don't think there's a snowball's of
ripening either paw-paws (in the sense of those rugby-ball-shaped fruit)
or custard-apples in Britain, and even fruiting would pleasantly
surprise me. Pity, as both are divine -- if you think the things at
Waitrose etc fairly represent paw-paws, I do hope you'll be able to take
a trip to warmer climes one day soon.

--
Mike.