Old 10-02-2006, 11:25 AM
panda panda is offline
Registered User

Default Couch Grass

I have just taken over an allotment, which has not been worked for several years. It is covered in tough meadow grass, and underneath a veritable profusion of 'twitch'. The plot is about 25 yards long by about 10 yards wide and faces south.
I have begun to dig out the 'bootlaces' and bury the ordinary grass, but this will take ages to accomplish. Is there a better way to clear this dreaded weed, and get the land ready for this year?
Also is there a right and wrong about planting rows North - South or East - West? Thanks. Panda