Old 10-02-2006, 04:00 PM
turf doc turf doc is offline
Registered User

Location: Uk, Lincolnshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda
I have just taken over an allotment, which has not been worked for several years. It is covered in tough meadow grass, and underneath a veritable profusion of 'twitch'. The plot is about 25 yards long by about 10 yards wide and faces south.
I have begun to dig out the 'bootlaces' and bury the ordinary grass, but this will take ages to accomplish. Is there a better way to clear this dreaded weed, and get the land ready for this year?
Also is there a right and wrong about planting rows North - South or East - West? Thanks. Panda

Sounds like you need some round up! its non residual which meen it will only be effective for around 24 hour. I'm not sure what your up to but if you want to kill of any of the longer / taller grasses then you can use a wip wipe techneic to alow the plants beneth to come through. If your looking to just clear the area then keep digging! you could hire a varity of power tools from places like A plant etc. rotovate and then rake.
good luck

Turf Doc