Old 06-03-2003, 11:34 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Growing new branches on a trunkchopped ficus.

In a message dated 3/6/2003 7:07:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Do I need to keep pruning the tip and new leader until there is some
backbudding on a lower portion of the trunk?

You could try pruning the leader as short as possible. But, depending
upon where you live it might be early to worry about a lack of backbudding
lower on the trunk.

Or

Do I have to graft new branches at the preferred locations?

You could try that.

Any other suggestions? What is the common method of developing branches on a
Ficus?

You could try the razor blade method. Made a fairly deep cut in the
bark with a razor blade just above where you want a branch. The cut should
result in a major flow of latex.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --