Old 06-03-2003, 11:34 PM
kush

Default Plants with holes in leaves - nutrient deficiency ?

Snail.

* * * * *

-David Hume

LeighMo wrote in message
Sorry, forgot to reply to that bit !! The holes seem to be in both old
and new.

In that case, it's unlikely to be a deficiency. IME, damage to all

leaves, old
and new, usually means some fish or snail thinks your plants are a salad

bar.

Well, that worked well !! I'll e-mail the picture to you (it's only 38K,
nothing to worry about).

Okay, got the photo. I've put it up he

http://members.aol.com/leighmo/alan.jpg

I hope you don't mind, but I think letting everyone see it will help with

the
diagnosis.

That is most definitely *not* a deficiency. Something is eating your

plants.
My guess would be the apple snail, though I can't say for sure.

Have you visited www.applesnail.net? Look at their identification page,

and
see if you can tell which species of snail you have. If it's not Pomacea
bridgesii, you have a plant-eater. If it is P. bridgesii, then maybe the

plant
leaves are dying for some reason, and the snail knows it, even if you

don't.

If anyone else has any idea which critter made those holes, please chime

in.
For those who missed the earlier post, the possible candidates a

6 x harlequin rasboras
7 x glowlight tetras
4 x tiger barbs
2 x golden gourami