Old 06-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Hussein M.

Default pachyphragus macrophylla

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:41:27 +0100, "Margaret Paige"
wrotc:

Thank you everybody for your reactions. Just shows you how "bad "handwriting
can lead to problems.
The descriptions and photos show me that this is definitely MY plant.

Well we can start a fan club. I'm sorry about messing up my last
message. (Forgot to press the "button" on my clipboard utility).

Anyway edible uses should have read:
It would be worthwhile trying out the leaves of this species for
edibility. They are almost certainly not poisonous[K].

Cultivation should have read:
Requires a leafy soil and a damp shady position[187, 200]. Another
report says that it succeeds in dry soils and, once established,
tolerates drought[190]. Succeeds in heavy clays[200]. Very shade
tolerant[200]. Succeeds in full sun or partial shade[188].
Possibly hardy to about -15°c[187, 200].
Plants have persistent basal rosettes[200].

Propagation should have read:
Seed - sow autumn in a greenhouse[200]. When they are large enough to
handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and plant them
out in the summer.
Division in spring[200]. Very easy, larger divisions can be planted
out direct into their permanent positions. We have found that it is
better to pot up the smaller divisions and grow them on in light shade
in a cold frame until they are well established before planting them
out in late spring or early summer.
Basal cuttings in late spring[200]. Harvest the shoots with plenty of
underground stem when they are about 8 - 10cm above the ground. Pot
them up into individual pots and keep them in light shade in a cold
frame or greenhouse until they are rooting well. Plant them out in the
summer.
Thanks again,

Margaret

"For of all gainful professions, nothing
is better, nothing more pleasing,
nothing more delightful, nothing better
becomes a well-bred man than
agriculture"