Old 07-03-2003, 01:14 AM
groober

Default Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.)

"WSZsr" wrote in message
.. .
: You need openings of around 6" to be able to reach in and grab the
tomaters
: as they ripen. The Lowes fencing material has much smaller openings.
Still
: looking for fencing with about 6" openings. Any ideas?
:
: The tomato cages at Natural Gardener are about $26.00 each. Nice but
: expensive.
:
:
: "Babberney" wrote in message
: news:20181ECAEEBEF015.164C1624DE1815AD.4248271E8D5 ...
: On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 01:50:25 GMT, Karen wrote:
:
: (Victor M. Martinez) wrote in
: :
: They do have great plants
: though and those really cool and sturdy, albeit expensive tomato
: cages.
:
: Thank you, Victor, for introducing a topic I was wondering about. I
: bought those round tomato cages last year and my tomato plants were a
: little too robust for them. What do the NG cages look like?
:
: Karen
:
: You can buy a roll of fencing wire and make your own pretty easily. I
: even saw the guy on the new Victory Garden pull it off. You can get
: 4' or 5' and make them as large (diameter-wise) as you wish. I think
: the lowe's depots of the world have fairly small rolls pretty cheap,
: but if not I'm sure you could get them at callahans.
:
: k
: For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please
: visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
: For consumer info about tree care, visit
: http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html
:
:

For economical tomato cages that will stand up to anything, use fence
panels. Get them at the wire place just north/west of the original
Callahans. They're big (8'x16' ?) but you can borrow bolt cutters to snip
them into more pick-up friendly size. Don't try this in a Geo Metro....