Old 11-02-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Koi-Lo

Default Bareroot vs. potted

"William Barger" wrote in message
I am starting a hybrid tea rose garden. I can buy container roses (2
liter) for $20. each. I can buy #1-1 1/2 bareroot for $12. I have no
experience with bareroot, but believe I can successfully plant them.
Both companies offer a 100% guarantee, in case they die. Which option
would you choose?
Bill

Look at the condition of the plant, that should be the biggest deciding
factor. However I personally prefer bareroot roses. How many canes are on
the potted or bare root? Look for atleast 3-4 canes each about the thickness
of your small finger. There should be no split canes or broken canes, which
suggest mishandling in transportation.

Bare roots can start to break dormancy, but multiple leaf clusters are bad.
Look at the condition of the root stock. Good bare roots have 3-4 good
anchor roots, about 18" long. Again no broken anchor roots, no signs of
drying out.

Read this guide, for more info.
http://www.brackengardens.com/barerootnewpage.cfm

No matter what you decide, don't let the plants produce too many flowers,
prune the buds so it can establish good roots. But nobody buys a rose bush
for the leaves and thorns, so enjoy a few flowers.