Old 07-03-2003, 11:21 AM
LeighMo

Default new tank..sub recomendations

I'm not quite a beginner, but I've never had the opportunity to do a tank
*specifically* with plants in mind. I just liket he loko of sand, but I'll
consider the flourite.

If it's sand's texture you like, consider Onyx sand. It's dark gray in color,
and actually a very fine gravel rather than sand. As with Flourite, there's no
need for laterite or other additives if you're using Onyx.

If you like the color of white sand...keep in mind that many fish find
light-colored substrates stressful, and it can make them look washed-out.
Also, it won't stay nice and white for long. It's kind of like having a white
carpet: every speck of dirt (and fish poop) will show. Of course, if you're
planning to cover it all with plants, it doesn't matter.

Eheim still the leader?

Yes. Not sure about the ECCO, though. I think I have heard people gripe about
the handle breaking. I have an Eheim Pro, myself. (Good filter, but don't get
the thermofilter model -- the one with the heater built in. I've heard nothing
but complaints about those.)

Leigh