Old 07-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Emergency transplant of bulbs

Robert Gray wrote:

In Raleigh NC, I have a nice row of bulbs coming up in a front flower bed.
However, there will be some construction work in that area very soon, and
the bulbs will be covered by 2-3' of dirt. I would like to save the bulbs by
transplanting them to another bed.

The advice that I read tells me to wait until June, but in this case, that
is not possible. Is it OK to dig them up now - before they bloom - and move
them? Any specific steps to take to help them survive?

Appreciate any help,
Robert

2-3 inches of additional dirt will not inhibit the bulbs from blooming
as long as (1) the application of the additional dirt will not break the
stems (either apply dirt before emergence -- might already be too late
in NC or apply the dirt carefully) and (2) the construction equipment
won't drive over the area.

If the above looks like a problem can you protect the plants temporarily
during the construction? Place concrete blocks over the plants so that
the stems come through the holes? A board over the plants supported so
it leaves room for the plants?

If you absolutely have to transplant them, first prepare the holes you
are going to put them in. Then try to take a shovel, insert it into the
soil about 4-6" from the bulb, lift it out and do the same thing on the
sides and the back of the bulb so that you cut a block of soil
containing the bulb. Then lift it out trying to keep the block together
so you minimize root disturbance. You have to put the shovel in far
enough to get well below the bulb so that the block of soil includes the
roots. You might have to excavate around a couple of bulbs to see how
deep they are. It will help to water the plants a day or two prior to
doing this.

If you can't get the block out without disturbing the roots, you might
lose flowering for this year, but if you keep the bulb watered and
fertilized it will probably survive and come back next year.