Old 07-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Pam

Default low maintenance tree for northwest?

Our native bigleaf maple, Acer macrophyllum, often produces sucker growth, which

is not particularly attractive. However if maples are pruned properly and at the

correct time of year, they should not be producing the type of growth you
describe. IME, vine maples seldom need much in the way of pruning - they are
small, well-behaved trees and an occasional grooming to remove dead wood or
damaged branches should be all that is required.

Fruiting trees do not necessarily attract insects, specially if you are
dilligent about harvesting the fruit (which afterall is the point in growing
them). And trees like flowering crabs and amelanchiers, although they do produce

fruit which is not particularly edible to us, are attractive to birds, which is
something to consider. No extra fertilizing is required for these or other
fruiting trees to produce, if soil conditions are adequate.

It is not necessary to remove the spent flowers from rhododendrons each year. It

does make the plant look tidier for the home garden if you do, but it is not
necessary for production of new flowers. The scores of rhody and azalea
plantings at the Arboretum, for example, never get deadheaded and do just fine
without it.

From your comments, it sounds like you are looking for *very* low maintenance
plantings. In that case, exclude the dwarf fruit trees from my list - they do
require more attention than other, more ornamental trees. Look carefully to
determine which tree is correct for your specific location and soil conditions
and which will maintain the height limitations you desire. Some regular
maintenance will be required of anything you select to keep it in prime
condition, but you can limit the amount necessary by careful selection of the
correct plant for the correct location. Take your list and your site
requirements to a local nursery or garden center (not Lowes or HD) - the staff
there will help you to select what will work best for you. This is an excellent
time to select and plant trees in this area - the nurseries are full of new
stock and many are offered on sale.

pam - gardengal

peter wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm making a list so I can do further research
on each of them.

Question about the vine maple. There are some maple trees (not sure what
variety) in my yard. And whenever I prune off one branch, several branches
grow out of that spot eventually. This makes the tree quite ugly. I wonder
if vine maple has this annoying characteristic.

Questions about fruiting trees. Don't they attract insects? Don't they
require a lot of fertilizers to make fruits?

I also have some rhododenrons in my yard. If left unattended, they grow from
a bush into a giant bush, and the leaves become so large they are no longer
attractive. Also seems susceptible to powder moss (?). For maintenance, I
was told to pick off the flower every year after they blossomed. That is a
tedious operation.