Old 07-03-2003, 05:08 PM
mhagen

Default surplus tech gear

Looks like good stuff here. I'm not really interested in these items but

since

you bring this up, I am interested in purchasing the following types of

old

forestry equipment:
1. Professional level compasses made before 1950. Especially staff

compasses

complete with the ball and socket mount and case. Also old Jacobs staffs

and

light tripods made for these compasses.
2. Old board and log rules with burned in numbers, especially those made

by the

Lufkin Rule Company. Not interested in modern painted number rules with
polyurathane.
3. Forestry texts published before 1930 in excellent condition.
4. Topographic scale Abney Levels with a case.
5.Old clinometers such as the Faustmann height measure, Weise height

measure,

Christen Height measure, Klaussner height measure, Winkler height measure,

or

Brandis Height measure.
6. Chain tape in link measure on wooden windup reel made by Lufkin or

Dietzgen.

7. Any other old (pre-wwII) forest management equipment.

Jerry Mohlman
Nostalgic, neanderthal forester

It'd be interesting to see what our junk closets look like. Your list
sounds like the stuff in my colleges forestry tool room thirty five
years ago but I'm not familiar at all with those clinometer scales.
Could you describe them?
Who'd have ever thought that Abneys and staff compasses would become
collectors items. And metal chains - I'm used to the two-chain trailer
tape. Who still knows how to throw one? One can occasionally find old
Columbia and other scale sticks in antique stores out here. Saw a water
stick just recently that must have been 9 feet long.