Old 11-02-2006, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default Pruning climbing roses

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:52:29 -0800, "HH" wrote:

Should one prune climbing roses the same as bush roses? Or should they be
pruned higher on the lattice to which they are tied?

I've got climbing roses. They can get out of hand without proper
pruning. What you want to avoid is a "canopy" type of cover which
shades the plant underneath and promotes excessive moisture (black
spot fungus). First, I remove all dead canes or canes that are
thinner than a pencil diameter. Too many canes close together are
not good either--I select the best and prune out the others. Proper
pruning will produce a better, stronger plant.