Old 11-02-2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Bareroot vs. potted

"William Barger" wrote in message
I am starting a hybrid tea rose garden. I can buy container roses (2
liter) for $20. each. I can buy #1-1 1/2 bareroot for $12. I have no
experience with bareroot, but believe I can successfully plant them.
Both companies offer a 100% guarantee, in case they die. Which option
would you choose?
Bill

Generally I've chosen the plants first, then
in whatever form I could find them. I've
even bought well under-age roses (I think
they're called "slips") and had some grow like
weeds and be very hardy.

Bareroot are pickier to plant than potted, but
once established should be just as healthy
(depending on the variety, of course).

So - if you can get plants you want and don't
mind the bit of extra work with bareroot, then
go with bareroot.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8