Old 10-02-2006, 03:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
Treedweller

Default Dirt

On 10 Feb 2006 06:00:49 -0800, "Diana" wrote:

Hi I was wondering if anyone recommends a company who can deliver dirt
to my home. We want to start a large garden. New to the area. Moved due
to hurricane Rita. Thanks in advance Diana

Welcome to Austin. I strongly encourage you to go to the LBJ
Wildflower Center, where you can see native plants and find books
specific to gardening in our area. We sit on a huge mass of
liimestone, which means our soil is too alkaline for a lot of plants
you might want to grow. You can work really hard and make some
headway against all odds (bringing in your own soil is a nice first
step in this regard), but the limestone will always win eventually.
Or you could reist the urge to fight and accept what you now have, and
plant accordingly. You(r acid) will be assimilated.

good luck,
Keith