Old 10-02-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

Default Couch Grass

"panda" wrote in message
news :
: I have just taken over an allotment, which has not been worked for
: several years. It is covered in tough meadow grass, and underneath a
: veritable profusion of 'twitch'. The plot is about 25 yards long by
: about 10 yards wide and faces south.
: I have begun to dig out the 'bootlaces' and bury the ordinary grass,
: but this will take ages to accomplish. Is there a better way to clear
: this dreaded weed, and get the land ready for this year?
: Also is there a right and wrong about planting rows North - South or
: East - West? Thanks. Panda

There used to be a weedkiller available to amateurs that would kill couch
but as far as I know it has long since disappeared. The best way is to carry
on as you are, perhaps clearing a foot width each day. The other alternative
is to cover it with something dark for a year and exclude the sunlight,
which will kill it.

As for the rows, you get more sunlight on crops planted north south but who
knows if it makes any significant difference. More and more people are
planting in 'blocks' instead of rows in our field but rows are easier to hoe
though.