Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Couch Grass

In article ,
"Robert" writes:

| There used to be a weedkiller available to amateurs that would kill couch
| but as far as I know it has long since disappeared. The best way is to carry
| on as you are, perhaps clearing a foot width each day. The other alternative
| is to cover it with something dark for a year and exclude the sunlight,
| which will kill it.

There still is. It's glyphosate (Roundup, Tumbleweed etc.) Let
the couch grass green up to a couple of inches, spray with DILUTE
glyphosate, and it will die - grasses are very sensitive to it.
You can wait and repeat, dig over and repeat, or dig over and
plant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.