Old 10-02-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Couch Grass

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after...
"Robert" wrote:

| There used to be a weedkiller available to amateurs that would kill
couch
| but as far as I know it has long since disappeared. The best way is to
carry
| on as you are, perhaps clearing a foot width each day. The other
alternative
| is to cover it with something dark for a year and exclude the sunlight,
| which will kill it.

There still is. It's glyphosate (Roundup, Tumbleweed etc.) Let
the couch grass green up to a couple of inches, spray with DILUTE
glyphosate, and it will die - grasses are very sensitive to it.
You can wait and repeat, dig over and repeat, or dig over and
plant.

We don't like using chemicals if we can avoid it but our last allotment was
covered in couch grass and other perennial weeds so we used Roundup as soon
as we saw green growth, waited a month and then used it again on any new
growth. Cleared the couch totally, I just dug it in roots and all as it was
totally dead.
Only problem was the couch trying to come back from the surrounding area
every year.

--
Regards
Bob