Old 07-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Rod

Default Buying a petrol chainsaw

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a chainsaw certificate, and have used only "professional" saws
costing £400 + as part of my job.
My big bro wants a chainsaw (who am I to judge) and I wondrerd if
anyone here had used a much cheaper saw and found it reliable?

Most of us around here use Stihl or Husquavarna at work, but I've Also used
Dolmar(now Makita) for many years. Low end of any of those ranges should be
fine - they tend to call them farmers' saws or similar.
Not many *really* bad saws being made now, I would probably still steer
clear of McCulloch. Not sure if Homelite and Remington are still around - I
would avoid those if they are. (showing my age here ;~(( ).
I work in a woodland garden and the chainsaws are indispensable.
Lend big brother your safety kit or better get him to buy his own.

Rod