Old 07-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] nematodes

Hi Nina:

I believe Methyl Bromide was used for 50 years as a control
tactic--a lethal control tactic.

You said it! It's being phased out because of the danger, but none
of the safer alternatives are as effective.

Today, dried sesame plant(marketed as Nematrol)is used. I have
found it to be effective in dealing with Root knot nematodes, which
at one time threatened my specimen Elaeagnus.

I've heard of it, but we haven't tested it at the lab. We've tried
marigolds (they sure were pretty! But they didn't work too well) and
mustards as green manures (not as effective as we would have liked).
--
Nina Shishkoff

Riverhead, NY

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: