Old 07-03-2003, 08:32 PM
ned

Default Buying a petrol chainsaw

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Mike wrote:
Can anyone guide me regarding the purchase of a two stroke
chainsaw. A 12" bar would be fine.
Looking for a relaible model for light and infrequent use.

Well, I know that this is a FIR (Frequently Ignored Response), but
why on earth do you want such a thing?

For light and infrequent use, a bow saw is cheaper, safer, more
reliable, quicker (overall) and often less effort. Now, there ARE
things that a chainsaw will do effectively, but neither a bowsaw
nor a billhook will, but not many.

Huge big grin
There speaks a man who doesn't have one. :-)
I have one. And there are several tree trunks (up to 10 inch diameter)
growing close to buildings and through concrete, on a run down
property that I would never have cut down without many bruised
knuckles had I chosen the 'blood sweat and tears' method.
Like many two stroke petrol engines, they can be a bit problematic on
starting. But once you have the revs up, its like a knife through
butter.
I wouldn't want to get into the 'My one is better than yours' argument
but,
my model, which has done all that I have asked of it, is a McCulloch
MacCat 435, 14" model.

--
ned