Old 07-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Soil test??'s

Joe Doe wrote:
precipitate. If you do suceed in moving the pH to neutrality with sulfur
more phosphate becomes available but it is unlikely to ever really

You can't really change the pH of our soils to neutral for long. It would
be a losing battle. Most of us have some soil above limestone (alkaline)
and water with tap water which comes from the city (pH of 9-10) or even
worse, from a well (pH of 10-11 and hard with carbonates).

organic matter by .04-.08 % !!! The only way to raise organic content is
slowly over time.

We've been adding compost to our garden by the truckload. We've got a pretty
good soil now, but we'll always keep adding compost.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv