Old 07-03-2003, 11:56 PM
animaux

Default Emergency transplant of bulbs

Dig them up as carefully as you can and put them into pots. I'm assuming there
is no foliage yet? Our spring bulbs are already blooming in Texas USDA Zone 8b.
The worst will be you won't have bloom this year, possibly next year, but that
is the worst case scenario. I think you will only lose this year's bloom. In
pots they can be kept at a reasonably warm temp (45-50 degrees).

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:20:25 GMT, "Robert Gray" wrote:

In Raleigh NC, I have a nice row of bulbs coming up in a front flower bed.
However, there will be some construction work in that area very soon, and
the bulbs will be covered by 2-3' of dirt. I would like to save the bulbs by
transplanting them to another bed.

The advice that I read tells me to wait until June, but in this case, that
is not possible. Is it OK to dig them up now - before they bloom - and move
them? Any specific steps to take to help them survive?

Appreciate any help,
Robert