Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] nematodes

Nina really caught my attention with this one. I've been seeing root
aphids and galls on a few crab apple seedlings. Others nearby are
unaffected.

The same infected ones seem to develop swellings on twigs and even
trunks in places. Later in the season, these swellings get
concentrations of woolly aphids. Are these aphids returning to attack a
favoured spot on the trunks/twigs or emerging from the swellings? Could
they overwinter inside the young unbroken bark or twig?

Kev Bailey

It's funny- if you examine a nematode on a microscope slide, it dies
within seconds. But in its natural habitat, the air/water/soil
microcosm, it is very tough.

Anyway, as I'm always telling you guys, first thing you do when you
get a new plant, you check the roots so you know what healthy roots
look like (assuming you bought a healthy plant, of course). Then
you'll know when something changes- a root rot, a nematode infection,
etc.

If you see galls, be aware that some plants have nitrogen-fixing
nodules (famously, legumes). Also, galls can be caused by root
aphids (especially on crabapple!), or the crown-gall bacterium. If
you see galls, you should take the plant to your Cooperative
Extension Office for diagnosis.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Riverhead, NY